Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tiny Tiger


My friend Tracey's son Brandon turned three yesterday, and JJ and I went to his birthday party today. It was quite an extravagant circus-themed adventure, complete with Sunshine the Clown, a magic show, balloon animals, face painting, and games. Now, JJ is very clown-shy, won't let anybody get anywhere near him with face paint, and just isn't quite of the age for group games yet. So, I was a little concerned about how today was going to play out.

Imagine my surprise when JJ marched right up to Sunshine for a balloon, and, after seeing a little girl get her face painted as a cat, declared that he wanted to be a tiger! My surprise continued as JJ sat still as a statue while his face was completely painted. He was an angel... right up until the time Sunshine brought out the mirror. Upon seeing his face, JJ immediately freaked out and planted his little tiger face right into my shoulder, sobbing, "No more tiger, Mommy! No more tiger!" In order to pacify him, I told him that I would wipe off the tiger. With a baby wipe, I removed the paint around his mouth - which he had already smeared mercilessly on my shoulder anyway. I then told him that he wasn't a tiger anymore, and he was perfectly content to wander around as you see him (devouring a chip) above. Luckily, nobody showed him another mirror.

As for the games, JJ really had no interest. But I got a huge kick out of Tracey directing children in playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey without a blindfold. "Close your eyes," she said, "Now don't peek... Santa's watching you."

Obviously, we had a great day:


3 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

what a doll.

Heidi said...

Oh, he's beyond adorable!

Nikki said...

He is the adorablist!!!!! We miss you guys and love you all. It never gets old sister. You think you have them figured out and then they suddenly change their minds!!!!!