Saturday, June 21, 2008

Is there a shrink in the house?

I just finished "Dark Lover", the first book in this series. I really enjoyed it, but I did encounter one slight problem. I don't know if everyone operates like this, but when I am reading a book, I am not just reading the words. In the back of my mind, I am actually viewing the action as well - like a movie. But perhaps, like in all other things, I am a bit lazy in my creation of the movie. To the point where, instead of creating new characters, I will often take the description, and put in place a character I have seen before.

WARNING: If you enjoy this series, and you have the same movie-theater mind that I have described, you may not want to continue reading - lest I destroy these works for you.

J.R. Ward's main story characters were a prime example of my character regeneration. Wrath is a huge, burly, almost frightening beast of a vampire, and Beth is a beautiful, innocent woman who can take care of herself. And their inevitable romance didn't help me escape the forms of characters I already knew...

Beth = Belle (Beauty)
Wrath = the Beast

Yes, I have taken a book that, if books were rated, would warrant an NC-17, and played all of the scenes out with rated G characters. Overall, I guess it makes that a PG-13 story... and one very disturbed Disney fan.

No comments: