Saturday, July 5, 2008

Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout.

I deserve a merit badge for this one...

After swimming at my friend's house yesterday, I was ready to change JJ out of his swim diaper and floaties, and back into his street clothes.

(As an aside... I just wanted to mention how very funny that just struck me. My 20-month-old son wears "street" clothes. We're not drug dealers, nor are we destitute... really.)

So, I had two bags and a naked baby in front of me. The swim bag was full of swim suits, swim diapers, towels, and pool toys. The diaper bag was full of everything... but diapers. As I always keep at least three diapers in the diaper bag, I was completely stumped.

(As another aside... I still have no idea where those diapers went. I would suspect somebody broke into my car and stole them, but that would just be ridiculous... right?)

Some of you may be asking, "What about the swim diapers?", and I will admit that is a valid question. But, those of you who didn't ask will be nodding your heads as I explain that swim diapers are definitely not a viable substitute. You see, swim diapers are designed NOT to absorb liquid. That is why they don't swell up in the water. It seems they are mainly designed to hold the poop in.

(Because I seem to be on an aside kick... For suddenly concerned pool owners and swimmers, I wanted to throw out the possibility that perhaps these swim diapers filter the pee as it passes through. Please note that I am not a swim diaper expert however, and cannot assure you that is the case. The thought makes me feel a little better, though.)

So, I had completely dumped both bags, and was telling myself off under my breath when I suddenly noticed the monster of all, super duty, truly, you should be dying if you need this maxi-pad in front of me. And I had an idea.

(You know the drill... Oh, yes I did.)

I removed the backing, stuck that maxi-pad in the swim diaper, and put it on my son. And we had a lovely evening.

(As a final aside... If you ever meet JJ later in life, and somehow end up playing a revealing game such as "Truth or Dare" with him, please try to refrain from using this knowledge against him. Unless, of course, he gave you a really nasty dare first. In that case, all bets are off. It's a dog-eat-dog world, son.)

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Pfft, I think that was a brilliant idea. I'd rather emotionally scar my children than clean up pee.

...

Does that statement warrant a forced tubal ligation?

Casey said...

Okay--I laughed so hard that I cried. I've always said wearing a pad must feel like a diaper. Good to know they work like one, too! Maybe I'll be able to put off buying Depends in favor of Always With Wings.

MamaBirdEmma said...

LOL, LOL!!!

That was the funniest thing I have read in a long time!!

Nikki said...

I think you qualify for whatever is above and beyond Girl Scouts. I bet there is no "maxi pad/diaper" merit badge but damn if there shouldn't be!!!! Way to go sister!!!

A Little Of A Lot said...

My son is still wondering what wound could possibly be big enough to warrant a bandaid of THAT size.

Aunt Becky said...

You're an amazing woman. I'd never have thought to do that.

Anonymous said...

MAXI PAD IN THE SWIM DIAPER...OMG that is brilliant!